It has been an honor to serve you as the elected Trustee on the Alameda County Board of Education. I am voted in by the voters of Alameda and parts of Oakland. The County Board of Education serves a unique role for students and their families. Please find a brief overview the the role and a recap of just some of the things that I have been up to for the past four years. It has been a rewarding challenge serving you all while also juggling my role as a parent and a full time employee at a local nonprofit focused on making college more accessible to undeserved youth.
Alameda County Board responsibilities
- Approves policies, regulations, and curriculum for the schools and educational programs operated by the County Superintendent of Schools.
- Adopts rules and regulations governing the Office of the County Superintendent of Schools.
- Approves the annual budget of the County Superintendent of Schools and sets the Superintendent’s salary.
- Receives the annual audit.
- Maintains an awareness of financial conditions and operations of school districts in the county.
- Approves the purchase or lease of property for County Office programs.
- Acts as the County Committee on School District Organization which reviews changes in school district boundaries and trustee areas.
- Serves as an appeal board for the adjudication of expulsion appeals, interdistrict attendance appeals, and Charter Schools.
- Advocates on behalf of education on the local, county, state and national level.
- Informs local communities about the programs and achievements of the County Office of Education.
Let's take a look back at my 2016 Candidate Statement
My experiences as a former Oakland public school student, a parent, a community advocate, an EmergeCA member and a successful entrepreneur make me qualified to take on this position. As a 2016 Powerful Women of the Bay award recipient, I am happy to serve my community in different leadership capacities including: appointed member of the Oakland Unified School District Measure G Citizens Oversight Committee, East Bay Women's Network board of directors, Wardrobe for Opportunity Chair and the Push Tech 2020 Public Relations team. I am grateful to have served as an active parent volunteer since my son started Kindergarten in Alameda ten years ago. I have spent years volunteering with Girls Inc. of Alameda County as a mentor, committee chair and a class volunteer. I was fortunate enough to host a student intern through the United Way/ Linked Learning program. That student nominated me for the 2014 Youth Friendly Business award. As your representative, I will devote continuous effort and commitment to creating effective leadership.
Leadership roles since getting elected
Alameda County Board Facilities Committee - Chair (2016 - present)
Alameda County Board Policy and Legislation Committee - Vice Chair (2016 - present)
CA County Boards of Education "CCBE" - Vice President (2019- present)
Chabot Space and Science Center - Board Member (2019 - present)
Children Rising - Board Member (2019 - present)
Measure G Parcel Tax Oversight Committee, OUSD - Vice Chair (2016- 2020)
Here is a list of some of my community involvement(2016-2020)
- Conference Facilitator with Students in Action (countywide) - 2019
- League of Women Voters, Alameda - Meet Your Elected Officials Day 2018, 2019
- Students in Action (Countywide)- Panel judge for annual Student Service Project presentations 2018, 2019
- Students in Action Student Mentor (Countywide) - 2016 - 2019
- Student Council Elections Speaker - Cox Elementary (Oakland, CA)
- Career Day - Envision Academy 2018, 2019
- Backpack Giveaway - Various Oakland Elementary Schools 2018, 2019
- Elected AD18 Delegate(represented Oakland, San Leandro, Alameda), CA Democratic Party - 2017 - 2019
- Black Elected Officials East Bay, Vice President 2019 - present
- CA County Boards of Education, Vice President - 2019 - Present
- Alameda County Teacher of the Year Awards 2016, 2017, 2019
- Alameda County Spelling Bee 2017, 2019
- Alameda County School Programs Graduation Speaker 2016 - 2019
- Girls Inc. of Alameda County - Volunteer, mentor, committee member 2008 - present
- Literacy Read-Ins - Various elementary schools in Oakland 2016 - present